Thursday 29 November 2012

I Have Writers Block So I’m Just Going To Say It

We all face it as bloggers and/or writers.  A blank page, staring back at you, mocking you.  “Haha, you can’t think of anything to write on me.”, I can hear the page saying.  “Bastard piece of paper!  Why won’t you let my thoughts stain your emptiness!?“, I ponder.
The oddity of this phenomenon is that each and every time we prepare a post, article, or whatever you want to call it, we start with a blank page.  So why can’t we transfer our thoughts through the tips of our fingers onto the keyboard every time?
Over the course of the last 48 hours, I’ve been attempting to tell my readers something special that happened to me last Friday.  I wrote, deleted, and started over again.  I must have done this three times before I decided to walk away.  And after a 20 minute break to gather my thoughts, I was at it again; only to write, delete, and start over again.  Again, this repetitious behavior started after an hour break this time.  And again, I achieved the same results.
My plan was to write a touching, heartfelt post about how I had spent the last 5 years of my life working my butt off to become a network administrator.  I also planned to include the fact that I was leaving my very well-established eight year military career behind, in order to attempt a career in information technology.  Furthermore, I was going to add in the facts that my wife and I welcomed two babies into the world, maintained our full-time jobs throughout the four years I was studying, and all the things she sacrificed to help me pursue my education and “dream job”.
And I wasn’t going to stop there.  I was going to explain to my readers that I was the last member of my immediate family to obtain my Bachelor degree, and how I had pursued and successfully passed multiple information technology certification tests while we were raising our three children and studying for my Bachelor degree.  And I wasn’t going to let my readers forget that my military job was that of a military policeman and not anything related to information technology.
I was going to go on and tell my readers how after searching on-line for a job for four to five hours a day for 2 1/2 months that I finally got an interview.  Then I was going to continue by telling them I landed my first IT job as a support technician in July 2010.
After I was through discussing that, I was going to tell my readers that after five long years of busting my rump which included staying up late finishing papers, working night shift for my new company, going from a Staff Sergeant in the military with ten subordinates all the way back down to the bottom of the totem pole, and my wife sacrificing her sanity and everyday life for me, that I was informed last Friday I was selected as the newest network administrator for my company.
To conclude, I was going to attempt to explain how proud of myself I was, how proud of my wife I was for her support, and how exhilarating the feeling of completing a five year goal felt like.  I had finally done it.  I finally achieved my goal of becoming a network administrator.
But for whatever reason, I just could not get that on “paper”.  I tried and tried again, only to fail over and over again.  I have writers block so I’m just going to say it…
…I got promoted to Network Administrator last Friday!!