Sunday 16 December 2012

In Which I Have Writers’ Block

Some people don’t believe in it, other people suffer something chronic – it’s one of those much-debated Tricky Subjects. Is it an urban myth/a conspiracy theory/a convenient excuse for laziness…? People seem to view it as the creative writing version of the lough ness monster or the celestine prophecy or holocaust-denial. Obviously, all of these things are just plain wrong – only an idiot or a psycopath would actually believe in them. So surely the same applies to writer’s block?

I didn’t believe in it. It seemed completely irrational to me that twenty-first century writers could be afflicted with such a strange, Victorian-sounding condition … but then I started working for the Open University and was blessed with the benefit of their excellent literature on creative writing and I realised that writer’s block doesn’t just exist… I have it. I’ve had it for several years.

The thing is that writer’s block is not what you might expect. It’s not a literary form of constipation in which you’re seated at your desk trying to squeeze a tiny word out – actually, when you have writer’s block it may be that you are writing heaps and heaps of material. The thing is that the creative process is being stunted – it is the process of moving “straight from creation to punitive judgement”, it is a “system of ferocious self-cancellation” (p. 30). Really, looking back, my experience on the QUB creative writing MA probably didn’t help as I was surrounded by older, more experienced writers who would happily attack my work like a pack of wolves given half a chance – not that the work didn’t probably deserve it but it really felt pretty vicious. Still, perhaps it will have turned out to be little more than an over-zealous pruning and my future growth will be accelerated – anyway that was 2004, let’s face it, I’ve had a bit of time to get over it. 

Anyway, now that I’ve had an epiphany and realised that writer’s block does exist and that I’ve had it; more importantly now that I know what it is. I can move on and make a start with the rest of my career. The key is, I need to make sure that I separate the critic from the creative when I’m writing. I need to give my work a little bit of room to grow. And I need not to worry too much what other people will think of it. I’ll begin by writing for me and I’ll aim to write only work that I am proud of. It’s a liberating feeling! I’ll let you know how I get on. 

Original Link