Monday 17 December 2012

Writer's Block

I'm sure you guys have noticed lately that my posts are just a flood of reviews. And I keep using the excuse that I'm busy to justify my absence. Heck, I even cleaned my garage and unpacked boxes that were still around from when we moved in, in an effort to avoid blogging. But even though being busy with Mr. H's show for a while and gearing up for the holidays has kept me away, that's not the whole truth. Truth is, I've been majorly avoiding sharing personal stuff on here lately because I've been afraid that a lot of it would come out angry and mean. The past few months have been a landslide of stress for me, and it's not something that I can pinpoint specifically, though there are several sources that have contributed to the problem.

So, blame it on mommy guilt, blame it on whatever...but the bottom line is that I've been keeping to myself to spare you guys the bitchy, self-pity filled, foot-in-my-mouth type posts that would have been born of my constant frustrations while I worked through stuff. And I'm not quite there yet, but I'm finally in a place where the emotions aren't so raw and I feel open to sharing my struggles with others. I mean, what's the point of even having a blog if you're not going to use it to get out the things that you actually feel need said? So it's back to the metaphorical grind for me in the blogging world, but don't expect the same reviewy, forced writing you've been getting out of me for the past however long.

I promise that you'll be reading A LOT less reviews on the blog from now on. Though I love trying new stuff and getting to introduce it to y'all, review blogging has started to feel more chore-y and less fun lately. In light of that, from here on out I'll be reviewing only books and brands that I really, actually, 100% care about supporting. I can also promise that I will try hard to stop censoring so much of what I'd really like to be writing about. Writing has always been super cathartic to me, but I find that blogging is difficult because you have to be willing to open up a side of yourself and share it with the world in a way that is so public that it's a tad scary. All that being said, hopefully this will make the blog a better place going forward. I'd love to earn readership based on mutual respect and shared learning (especially with regard to parenting) rather than a random giveaway I hosted. Not that there's anything wrong with giveaways, since I love free stuff as much as the next person, but you know what I mean...
In parting, I'm going to drop a quote from Supernatural on y'all that I'll try to keep in mind myself more as I work my way back to a happier me: "Decide to be fine till the end of the week. Make yourself smile. Because you're alive, and that's your job. Then do it again the next week. Do it right, with a smile, or don't do it." Thanks, Frank Devereaux, for sharing your wisdom. ;)