Thursday 13 December 2012

Writer’s Block

Type a Sentence, Backspace the sentence. Pause, and make an attempt to assemble some coherence. No coherence. Writer’s block I have, words I have not. According to Wikipedia (citation needed), writer’s block can result from “physical illness, depression, the end of a relationship, financial pressures, and a sense of failure.” But a few paragraph’s down, Wikipedia tells me (and maybe you, too if you read the page) that writer’s block might actually be from a switch in control to the limbic system (flight or fight!) from the cerebral cortex (Van Gogh!).

As the calendar marches onward to the dead of winter, I lose my proverbial voice. The brain in my head gets muddled down and arduously slow, and productivity seems illusory. Oh but this Summer! The fluency was not slow enough and the words flowed so sweetly. Why, dear readers, when I’m still me, the same person I’ve been, can’t I maintain an ease with words? I’ll tell you, although it’s somewhat of a dreadful story.

Well the winter days are a burden and the heart feels faint; the bleakness of winter is hardly bearable each and every year.

On one end Manic; Depression on the other

And the spectrum bounces endlessly so, each winter I wonder why I bother with life, and each spring I remember. I suppose I do have a blessing in knowing what to expect of this, but I can assure you, that does not make it easy. A jail sentence completed 1/2 of the year is still an awful six months of looking through the bars and wondering if you’ll ever see daylight again.

Oh, I know I’m dramatic, but that’s all a part of the fun! What use is a mood if it doesn’t make you feel? Tragedy! Drama! Romance! Is that not life? I suppose I’ve been cursed with an exceptional capacity to feel the pains and purities of my own existence in a world so large, and it is cursed. Cursed on the months that I cannot articulate. Cursed on the days I spend unable to see the sunlight, and cursed on the tears that I cannot keep in. But beautiful are the moments of gratitude that swell in my chest and heat up the blood in my veins, and beautiful are the face of the people my eyes wander across, and beautiful are the words that flow from my mind to my lips on the days I can speak.
 
Original Link